Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Operates cash register accurately and scans product. Ensures cleanliness of store, quality and quantity of product, and tends to supply needs in the store and at the pumps.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director; Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Managers of Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Assistant Managers; C-Store Manager and Assistant C-Store Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee’s designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers’ names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they’re looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Operates cash register accurately and scans product, (where applicable) and reports improper cash levels in cash drawer.
- Redeems promotional coupons, food stamps, receives cash, checks, completes credit-card charge transactions, in-store charges and figures discounts, as well as, counts back change and issues receipts.
- Places merchandise in bags or boxes and gives packages to customers.
- Assists with inventory of the department.
- Receives and checks in delivered merchandise and places in appropriate storage area.
- Fills displays and stocks shelves.
- Ensures proper maintenance of lot; shovels sidewalk of snow, spreads ice melt on ice, hoses down lot.
- Fills outside towel holders, and replenishes or refreshes window washer fluid.
- Removes trash inside and out in a timely manner.
- Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Cleans but not limited to registers, restrooms, break room; backroom, sweeps and mops the floor, and tends to supply needs.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Orders merchandise and supplies as needed.
- Prices products for customers as necessary.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
No education or experience requirements.
Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is frequently exposed to temperature extremes and dampness. There are possible equipment movement hazards, electrical shock, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Telephone, fax, copier, pallet jacks, garbage disposal, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, box cutter, knives, computer, calculator, frozen juice machine, coffee maker, cash register, Veriphone software, C.A.R.S. reordering system, and gas pumps.
Has daily contact with customers, co-workers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public.