FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Human Resources Updated: August 2022
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
SUMMARY – Confidential employee: The HR Generalist/Payroll & Benefits Administrator is responsible for payroll (US and International) and benefits administration. Responsible for having overall knowledge of all human resource functions. Conducts employee benefit meetings. Promotes and maintains the company’s mission, values, and culture. Provides exceptional communication and service to employees. Sets the example of an engaged employee and supports employee engagement throughout the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Must effectively perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position in a manner that consistently demonstrates Shur-Co’s mission and core values in a positive manner. Other duties may be assigned.
- Is the payroll expert. Makes recommendations for payroll related policies. Provides training as needed (i.e., Managers, staff) to ensure compliance and full utilization of tools.
- Responsible for timely, accurately, and compliantly processing the company’s payroll, including US, Canada, and UK. Audit and process payroll documents. Process employee data for new hires, changes, additional earnings, garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay, as necessary.
- Processes employee Time & Attendance data to payroll and reconcile variances. Approve and release time in the time system.
- Prepares and maintain employee files, assuring accuracy, compliance, and confidentiality.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources director to improve payroll and HRIS processes.
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and changes.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems.
- Administer paid leave policy for all employees.
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- As the Employee Benefits expert, administer all employee & volunteer benefit such as medical, dental, vision, disability, and retirement (Defined contribution 401(k)) programs. Process I-9 verifications, workers compensation and life insurance claims.
- Coordinates and conducts the new employee on boarding process and presents benefits presentations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts, and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with the Finance department for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401(k), etc.). Responsible for employee benefit file maintenance and storage retention requirements.
- Addresses benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions. Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Processes monthly billings from providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and approves for payment in a timely manner. Resolves discrepancies with carriers and payroll.
- Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities. Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA.
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims and workers compensation cases.
- Develop in-depth understanding of HRIS and all vendor enrollment systems and websites. Create reports on request
Human Resource Information System Administration
- Maintains complete electronic employee personnel files, records, and other documentation for employees, including processing new employees, forms for employment status changes and maintaining timely and accurate files. Coordinates pre-employment paperwork and processes.
- Prepares statistical summaries and reports from the HRIS involving payroll information, performance management, demographic data, and other employee data, requiring knowledge of the various Human Resources disciplines. Assists to maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data and reviewing source documents for accuracy and completion of data input.
- Generates files/reports such as the EEO-1, new hire reporting, annual non-discrimination testing for benefits plans, annual reports, as well as other special and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Recommends business process improvements having an HRIS component.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
No direct supervisory responsibilities are required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
Education /Certification: Bachelor’s degree in business specifically Human Resource Management. Professionally certified in Human Resource Management (PHR, SHRM- CP, etc.) desired.
Required Knowledge: Knowledge of human resource laws and regulations. Knowledge of payroll administration. Knowledge of benefits programs including health insurance, long-term disability programs, workers’ compensation insurance, unemployment regulations, life insurance, 401k & Defined Benefit plans, COBRA, etc. Understanding of human resource policies and programs. Thorough knowledge of state and federal regulations related to benefits administration. Knowledge of Canada/UK policies and procedures a plus.
Experience Required: Three to five years of experience administering payroll, HRIS and benefits processes required. Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience.
Skills/Abilities: Ability to motivate and influence others. Significant level of diplomacy and trust. Excellent oral and written communications abilities. Professional image that promotes Shur-Co’s brand and culture. Excellent judgment and decision-making skills. Solid interpersonal abilities. Excellent presentation and organizational skills. Ability to write clear, concise emails, facilitate meetings and give presentations.
Physical Demand Summary
According to the Dictionary of Occupational Titles, this position is Sedentary. Sedentary Work involves exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.