Union Veterans of the Civil War built our mid-Victorian Italianate Style Grand Army of the Republic Hall in 1887 for a cost of $980 and met here until 1924. From then until 1999 the G.A.R. Hall was used and faithfully maintained by the Woman?s Relief Corps of the G.A.R. Declining membership of the Corp led to the deeding of the hall to Historic Yankton, Inc. in 1997. The hall was then sold to Yankton Area Arts (YAA) in 1999 for $1.00. YAA accepted the responsibility of both preserving this historic landmark and creating a new home for the arts in our community. The hall has been renovated to include an art gallery and meeting space.
Civil War Cannon
The cannon that stands sentinel on the front lawn of the G.A.R. Hall dates from 1862, Fort Pitt, PA. No. 33. It weighs 2,515 lbs. and carries the proof initials of J.R.F. It is definitely heavy artillery for the period probably used for bombarding fortifications. The cannon now houses a time capsule with a granite stone commemorating the event donated by Luken Memorial, Inc.
The G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery
The gallery now features changing exhibits from world-famous artists to both professional and amateur regional artists.