BUILT TO CONNECT
Astec is a global, environmentally focused infrastructure and manufacturing company of asphalt, road building and aggregate processing equipment. Our mission is to design and build the most innovative products for the industries we serve. Leveraging innovative solutions and technologies, we serve customers all over the world.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Applications Engineer will perform the necessary work to size, layout, cost, propose and audit performance of material processing systems for customers in the aggregate, mining, industrial and recycling markets within the Materials Solutions (MS) Group.
- Review and respond to RFQ/RFP documents with respect to application requirements, equipment sizing/selection, performance guarantees, commercial terms, etc.
- Manage sales opportunities involving MS Group products from inquiry to proposal to in-house management to post sale follow-up.
- Development of process flow diagrams and equipment layout drawings for aggregate processing plants and development of standard and non-standard equipment quotations.
- Advise internal and external customers on the proper selection, application, and operation of MS Group products.
- Assist equipment sales, parts sales, marketing, product management, engineering, and service departments with the development of various deliverables as required.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Gather and evaluate the necessary information required to determine proper equipment selection and operational parameters.
- Collaborate with the product management, engineering, and manufacturing personnel to develop non-standard equipment configurations, costing and quotation development.
- Document all activities relative to each sales opportunity as necessary to ensure clear communication exists between all involved parties.
- Review and confirm job order accuracy as necessary.
- Attend trade shows and other product demonstration, as required.
- Participate/lead meetings involving other Astec personnel, dealer personnel and customer personnel relating to applications reviews, proposal presentations, etc. Note, these meetings may be conducted virtually or in person outside of Astec’s offices.
- Assist the project managers and alliance partners with all requirements relating to the sale and commissioning of systems type projects.
- Collaborate with product management and engineering personnel to define and evaluate product features, product options, operational features of the equipment, etc.
To be successful in this role, your experience and competencies are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Mining, Geological or Industrial Engineering required.
- AutoCAD/Inventor (or comparable software) knowledge and experience with 3D design software required.
- Ability to operate general office equipment including personal computers. Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Communicate effectively orally and written.
- Good interpersonal relations skills when dealing with management, sales, dealers, customers, and inter-company personnel.
- Ability to manage stressful situations including equipment and/or process problem resolution with customers, dealer personnel, etc.
- Required to visit construction, quarry and industrial sites with exposure to dust, noise and weather elements; physically able to climb on equipment, aggregates stockpiles, etc.
Supervisor and Leadership Expectations
Our Culture and Values
Employees that become part of Astec embody the values below throughout their work.
- Continuous devotion to meeting the needs of our customers
- Honesty and integrity in all aspects of business
- Respect for all individuals
- Preserving entrepreneurial spirit and innovation
- Safety, quality and productivity as means to ensure success
Travel Requirements: Willing to travel worldwide by air and auto as required (+/- 8 weeks per year), have valid driver’s license, be able to obtain a passport and must have financial means to travel when required. Approved expenses will be reimbursed.
NOTE: This position responsible for certain internal control responsibilities. These internal control responsibilities are verbally communicated to the incumbent and periodic feedback is provided as it relates to the performance of these internal control responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of injury in an office environment and occasionally a manufacturing shop plant environment. Duties include a typical office setting including extensive computer work, sitting or standing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.