BUILT TO CONNECT
Astec is a global, environmentally focused infrastructure and manufacturing company of asphalt road building and aggregate processing. Our mission is to design and build the most innovative products for the industries we serve. Leveraging innovative solutions and technologies, we serve customers all over the world.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Responsible for providing customer service to internal customers and external vendors by placing purchase orders, maintaining past due reports, following up on orders to ensure materials are delivered on promised dates, receive bids, and make purchases of commodities or goods where the financial impact or decision making is limited. The Buyer may work directly in support of the production line operations and/or in collaboration with department managers, engineers or operations staff procuring product. Material, commodities, and/or equipment purchased are processed, consumed, or used in the manufacture or service of heavy equipment. This Buyer position is available at Astec - Yankton (formerly Kolberg-Pioneer) located in Yankton, South Dakota.
- Assist in the purchasing materials, supplies and services for the organization.
- Tracks all purchases that are made.
- Monitor the vendors quality.
- Maintain a current database of vendor information.
- Arrange transport of goods and track orders to ensure timely delivery.
- Interpret blueprint drawings and bills of material (BOM’s)
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Process purchase requisitions or orders within purchasing authority.
- Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Monitor shipments to ensure that products come in on time and in good condition. In the event of problems, trace shipments and follow up on undelivered goods.
- Projects a positive company image by interacting with fellow employees, customers and management in a cooperative, supportive and courteous manner, and displays a professional attitude.
- Responsible for procurement and purchasing activities on assigned categories and/or vendors.
- Proactively communicate with Manufacturing, Engineering, and other departments.
- Plans all orders and delivery schedules to accommodate production changes and match J.I.T requirements of the build schedule.
- Distributes updated drawings to suppliers, as needed to complete orders.
- Scan purchase orders and associated documents into Doc Rec daily.
- Miscellaneous other duties as directed by Department or Shift Lead.
- To be successful in this role, your experience and competencies are:
- Associate of Art's degree (A.A.) from two-year College or similar degree from a technical school.
- 2 years clerical experience required.
- 2 years’ experience with computers: specifically, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and ERP, inventory, ordering, and tracking systems.
- 4 years of experience or more with purchasing components for heavy equipment production.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX experience preferred but not required.
- Basic understanding of supply chain management in a manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints and bills of material (BOM’s).
- Levels of this position will have increased years of experience or knowledge requirements.
- Detail oriented, Flexible, able to adapt to rapidly changing situations.
- Communication Skills: Must be able to demonstrate skill in communicating with vendors and supervisors. Must express criticisms and concerns in a way that promotes teamwork and positive supplier relations.
- Maintain positive, constructive cooperative working relationships by working, acting, and communicating with various personalities getting along with customers, vendors, co-workers, and management working both individually and as part of a team.
- Continue to grow lean knowledge and use the tools to identify and assist with continuous improvement.
- Skill in working efficiently and accurately to keep up with production requirements.
- Flexible and adaptable in coping with pressures, deadlines, and rapidly changing situations, ability to work independently.
Supervisor and Leadership Expectations
Our Culture and Values
Employees that become part of Astec embody the values below throughout their work.
- Continuous devotion to meeting the needs of our customers
- Honesty and integrity in all aspects of business
- Respect for all individuals
- Preserving entrepreneurial spirit and innovation
- Safety, quality and productivity as means to ensure success
NOTE: This position responsible for certain internal control responsibilities. These internal control responsibilities are verbally communicated to the incumbent and periodic feedback is provided as it relates to the performance of these internal control responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of injury in an office environment and occasionally a manufacturing shop plant environment. Duties include a typical office setting including extensive computer work, sitting or standing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Astec does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender (sex), sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, citizenship status, a person’s veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law or executive order.